Friday, June 29, 2007

The Red Headed Step-Child That I Am

On Wednesday, I posted this. And, I'd like to thank each and every one of you for reveling in my shame with me. I'm am relieved to know that I am now not alone.

While I was blogging and might I add, minding my own business, the husband thought it would be charming to add to my pain, so he turned on the satellite TV. Somehow, he landed on The Military Channel, to which we all know I do not especially heart. [Um. Boring, people.] So, my brain was already buzzing with a wee little bit of the conditional reaction of trying not to convulse into implosion while having to regurgitate that memory on the computer. This alone was difficult enough. Add in a mix of the Military Channel assaulting my ears as I was trying to type about unclean, unshaven betty's, well, let's just say the world could not have been my friend at that very instant.

I heard all sorts of bombs and guns. I heard jets and planes. I heard men and women. I heard lots and lots of things about war. I also heard this, ". . .the world is going to die. . . " and it was so X-Box 360-like that I stopped typing for a moment to glance at the TV to see if the husband was watching or playing. And though I tried, I could not help but mutter the same words in the same voice. It had to be done. I was overly compelled and not by my own hand either. The Military Channel made me do it.

The husband stopped. He looked at me as if I had just killed his cat. He very flatly said, "what." So, as proud as I could and in my best X-Box 360 voice I boomed, ". . .the world is going to die. . . " And smiled as pretty as I knew how with a couple of blinks to my eyelids.

The husband shook his head, "I don't know how your father didn't beat you as a child."

5 comments:

Ian said...

Okay, first you're hating on the Scots, now the red-heads...who's next? People with only three letters in their first name?

Jen said...

Now that you mention it . . . .

m said...

Mean, mean husband!!

Also, I think you should totally hate on people with only 3 letters in their first name. It's only right.

Allison Horner said...

The Military Channel? I didn't even know it existed. ugh.... &
snooze....

Jen said...

Yes, the husband calls it a magical place. . . Me thinks it's a yawn mostly.

Min, you're right, come to think of it. Hating on people with 3 letters - Ian, Ali (you lose an "l", girl), Min, Jen - is only right.