Thursday, February 14, 2008

I Would Walk A Hundred Miles


The husband and I do not celebrate Valentine's Day in the traditional sense that most other couples in the world do. Each of us love on one another daily, so when this one day a year turns around we decided that we will not buy gifts, cards or go out and spend three times the normal amount on a restaurant only to be hurried out the front door for another couple waiting to be seated. Given time, this may come to pass, but in the meantime, we do enjoy spending time together on this day if we have it. The husband works more than a lot.

There are many reasons as to why we are not VD traditionalists, but I won't bore you with stuffy details (no serious funding previously, bad significant other VD days, bad significant others in general, work, etc.). Suffice it to say that we do try to do Valentine's every year with homemade pizza - yep, everything but the veggies & herbs are hand made - as well as with a few other indulgences. The usual flowers, champagne or wine, chocolate brownies and/or ice cream as well as a heart shaped piece of foodie or two.


In any case, the husband is now in the middle of doing all the dishes himself. Mmmm. . . . such a delicious rarity! I get to sit here and blog about it. I might just go run a bubble bath & relax with a bit of champagne. Or find some nookie! Huzzah!


Anyway, I hope you and yours, as well as my friends out there who are single and proud, had a fantastic Heart Day full of indulgences. . . .

14 comments:

Jay said...

I don't really do V-Day myself. I think it's kind of silly.

But, those pizzas look YUMMY!

Happy Valentine's Day

Anonymous said...

Hmm . . . you calling it VD made me think of venereal disease. Hahaha. Anyway . . . sounds like you had a fantastic day. I did too (you don't HAVE to have a significant other to have a fabulous v-day!).

Em

R.E.H. said...

Heart shaped pizza... now we're talking MY kind of Valentine's Day dinner ;)

Seriously... I liked the look of those.

Hope Valentine's Day was a great one!

Ian said...

Sounds like fun. Have to agree that staying in is the way to go. Much more relaxed than being rushed through dinner so they can seat 3 couples in 4 hours

Beth said...

I like your idea better. I think we'll start a similar tradition, as last night we ended up taking Billy with us to our "romantic" dinner. (No sitter). It would have been much more fun to stay home and make something together... and cheaper!

m said...

Heart-shaped pizza and nookie: does it get any better?

Jen said...

Jay: pizza's were gooooooo-ud! I used to think the same about VD, but it was b/c I was always by myself on that day. I couldn't afford my own massages back then or extra indulgences, so I couldn't do my own VD. It's easier now with the husband, though it is still not THAT big of deal to us/me.

Em: Ino! I'm like a little kid that way - it makes me laugh too! Glad to hear you had an awesome VD - 'cos you're right, you don't have to SO to have a fab VD!

Ha! I crack myself up!

r.e.h.: if you liked the look, you would have loved the taste! If I do say so myself!

Ian: that is EXACTLY what I'm sayin'. We need more details than hot peppers on yours! But not TOO detailed. . .

Bethando: indeed! Staying in is the way to go on VD. Of course, I love to cook and prepare food, so things like this are easy for me. I don't mind buying us the flowers, the champagne and/or the ingredients. We share pretty good around here. . .

Mindy: Nope. I couldn't have asked for more! Though your soiree sounded pretty fantastic too!

Tink said...

*Gasp* And where does nookie hide? I must go find some! ;)

Tink said...

*Snort* I think that came out a whole lot more dirty than I intended it.

Allison Horner said...

Happy Valentine's (a day late)!

We stayed in, too. Hubby made us dinner. ;) It was great!!

tt said...

So glad you had such a good relaxing time. We don't usually do much cuz we do that sort of stuff throughout the year....but, we did go out to dinner, paid for by my Dad, so we could have a "date night"... :) How sweet was that. I had to stay with the folks V day night so I'm sure my Dad was trying to make our day better.
LOVE the pizza'a. You did that??
Talent girl!! Rachel Ray has nuttin on you!

Jen said...

Tink: you dirty, dirty, Tink!

Ha!

Alli: and WHAT exactly did the hubby make for thy food? do tell! Happy VD to you too 3 days late!

tt: a date paid for by someone else? ? ? Hell ya! That I would have done in a heartbeat too.

Yep. I did the pizzas. And the dough shaped hearts. I rolled the heart shape in the 1st one and then decided to "cut out" the second shaped heart pizza - as you can probably tell. I made the pizza sauce, but not the cheese, veggies or herbs. . .

Allison Horner said...

Linguine with meat marinara and baked multi-grain bread and salad and wine. :) mmmm

tt said...

Ok..that's making me hungry...I need instructions!