Monday, October 1, 2007

Always Late to the Party

For love of all things Pickled Beef:



Common



Rare

In just getting back from Jackson Hole, Wyoming, I could not pass up using some pictures of the 493 we snapped here and there. The first are of elk horns, which they shed every winter and can be found many places on the ground throughout the west. The second is of the American Bison, which are just on the cusp of being a threatened bovine species. So, while not technically rare, they are endangered to a degree and we never see them walking through our streets in our Longhorn City.

If you do not play Weekly Word Challenge now, you should. Click on "Pickled Beef" above and find out what the hype is all about. You may even become a Stalkerella of Tink even if you don't play. . . . .



9 comments:

Jay said...

Very cool pics! I would love to go to Jackson Hole.

Love the new header picture too! did you take that one too?

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! And a nice little lesson to boot!

Jen said...

Jay: Thank you! You would love (just LOVE) Jackson Hole, WY! It's supremely beautiful out there by the Grand Tetons. Words can't say. . . And, yes, I did take that picture of the mountains and adapted it for my new header. Once I get to posting some of my pic's, you'll see some more.

Gawilli: Welcome! And thanks! I'm off to visit your site now. . .

Ian said...

Mmm, Bison. They're endangered because they're tasty!

Tink said...

That spork mailbox flag idea is effing BRILLIANT. I love you. Now I just hope I can convince Hoop it's a cool idea too.

The pictures are great! I've always wanted to see a bison. Hoop and I went to a park once that advertised wild bison. We saw crows... That was it.

Allison Horner said...

Beautiful pics, Jen! Can't wait fo' mo'! Last time I saw some American Bison was back in May in Golden Gate Park in the middle of San Francisco. Beautiful & majestic creatures. It's just so sad that are so few, but I think they are slowly coming back.

I recommend anyone heading to San Fran to visit the park. It's very pretty, and quite historic.

Ian: That's just wrong....very, very wrong.

shanksi said...

There's a farm just up the road from us (in the NE of Scotland) that has a herd of Bison or Buffalo or some such similar beast. I suspect this supports Ian's statement - unless they're being kept for milk to make mozzarella. The weird thing was I first spotted these beasts early on a misty morning through tired eyes and wasn't 100% sure I wasn't imagining things.

Buffy said...

Would LOVE to see Jackson Hole.

ETK said...

Wow! I've heard nothing but amazing things about Jackson Hole. Awesome! I can't wait to see more pictures!!! :)